History of Dorman Smith
A brief introduction to the history of Dorman Smith
Dorman Smith Switchgear Limited acquired the assets of A & R Engineering Ltd from Aquatronic Group Management PLC effective 1st March 2019. A & R Engineering will assist Dorman Smith in manufacturing new products whilst continuing with their own bespoke, high quality enclosures and its traditional range of products.
Dorman Smith Switchgear Limited divested from Tyco Electronics UK Ltd which enabled Dorman Smith Holdings and Dorman Smith Switchgear Limited to become independent UK entities.
Dorman Smith Switchgear Limited brand was owned by Tyco Electronics UK Ltd with manufacturing and office locations in Preston and Witham, Essex.
Dorman Smith Switchgear Ltd introduced an experimental “flextime” system allowing office personnel to regulate their working hours within certain limits.
Dorman & Smith Ltd became the first company in Preston to introduce an advertising bus to the area. The bus was painted in the company’s corporate design and travelled in the area between April and October.
Dorman & Smith Ltd entered into agreement with R. E. Dietz Company of America to manufacture their range of hazard lighting devices under licence.
Dorman & Smith Ltd purchased a building in Preston with an area of 125,000 square feet to open a new manufacturing plant.
Dorman & Smith Ltd celebrated their seventy-fifth anniversary of trading.
Dorman Smith Holdings Ltd was formed.
Dorman and Smith formed themselves into a private limited company with Mr C. M. Dorman as the first chairman.
Mr Dorman and Mr Smith formed the original company in 1881 to manufacture a wide range of electrical equipment, control and switchgear.